Friday, March 19, 2010

Confuse Me #2

World of a Difference


  •  In Spain, the only Asian race the people seem to know (or acknowledge) is Chinese. To everyone here, I am Chinese or should I say Chinita. This brought back memories of my childhood in Argentina when kids would slant their eyes and repeatedly chant those words to me, "Chinita, Chinita!" I mean, I know China is the most populated country in the world, but... is it wrong for me to want to be recognized for being a Coreana? It is more amusing than offensive. I laugh when they just say ni-hao to me and take the opportunity to educate them with the existence of Korea.

I typed "Chinese woman" and "Korean woman" on Google. These were the first photo results of each search.  Top- "Chinese woman", Bottom- "Korean woman"


  • The richest man in the world of 2010 is Carlos Slim Helu. He is Mexican. Now, I am not being racist nor am I saying a Mexican man does not deserve to hold this title. Props to him for being a self-made billionaire and living his life to see this day. I love Mexico and I love my Mexican community. The one thing I miss most in Spain, besides friends and family, is a taco. Anyway, I guess the part that confuses me is the fact that he is Mexican and that Mexico is still a fairly newly developed country. In the Top 10 of the list, after Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, #4 & #5 are from India. The majority of the people in these countries live in poverty. They do not have the comforts of a cozy home or the consumption of sanitary water. This is not just a certain percentage of the people, this is a good majority of them. It sort of just upsets me. The fact that there is such a huge difference in living. With all those billions of dollars, man.... I bet they could feed those people... It makes me sad.

World of a difference...

3 comments:

  1. when I was in italy.. all they know is "cinese" or "japonese" haha I just called them some other race life if he looked middle eastern I'd say turkish or persian haha just to piss them off. HAHA If african, just called them ugandan. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. The gap between the rich and poor in the third world is an injustice. That Carlos Slim is the richest person in the world and that Mexico is a struggling third world economy is an injustice. He made his money by exploiting Latin American countries, through monopolies, and by the finest practices of capitalism.

    You know the game Monopoly? Did you know that the original intent of the creator of that game was to demonstrate that in Capitalism there is only one winner, and that everyone else loses? And because everyone else loses, that makes the winner a loser too.

    Carlos Slim won a game of monopoly, but he did it by screwing everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alternative to Capitalism?

    Watch a Beautiful Mind. Apply John Nash's game theories, and we've got a great candidate.

    ReplyDelete