Tuesday, February 8, 2011

ggpwn3d #9- Failing Flesh

A couple years ago, Pastor Paul gave his first sermon for our ikcm. It was my junior year in college, which marks the year where God started really moving in my heart. The sermon was about Psalm 73, where Asaph complains to God about how all the non-believers in the world live a luxurious life with no worries and such. You know, the same things we always grunt about to God, being the annoying, ungrateful beings that we are; or that I am, sorry.

Anyway, he comes in full circle and repents by saying, "Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Psalm 73:25-26)

That stuck with me ever since that day and I would meditate on that every single day. I wrote it on all my books, journal, planner, etc to remind myself that it is indeed the Lord who remains in me that gives me life.

I even got it tattoo-ed on my wrist last year. When I was away in Spain for my 4+ month-long date with God, he gave me the design for the tattoo. Twas cool. I really like my tattoo.

Besides the point. So knowing that this symbol on my wrist means exactly that--"..but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."... it has been owning me up every single day, especially this new year. You see, something that I realized about myself is that there is nothing good in me. 0%.

Here is how the verse should actually start: My flesh and my heart may fail...

I fail. even when my intentions are right... even when I repent before Him, asking him to free me from my self and to make me seek righteousness... even when I wake up to new mercies... even when I sighahh after getting owned from the Word... I fail.

My flesh is not able to produce anything good. With that, I find myself curling up inside and internally dying before God. He makes all things good. He makes me good. He makes me good. Why? (asking God, not my readers) It brings me to my knees. The amazing thing about grace is that there is more of it for me. The more of a sinner I am, the more grace I am given. Jesus came to heal the sick, not the righteous. I am sick. I am in need of His endless grace.

It is truly overwhelming. His grace. His desire for me.

17 comments:

  1. i smiled and enjoyed this post like crazy earlier in the day when i read it on my iphone, came back to comment on it.

    we fail... then we look to God again, then we sighahh again :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of the many verses that brings me tears/ joy/ humility. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my faves too
    estef, give me your email! i want to email you

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your tattoo. in 2010 i got the same scripture written out...it starts at my left shoulder blade and windes down my rib cage to my hip and back up with forever across my heart. i couldnt agree with what you've stated above more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I got a tattoo down the back of my left arm (I am left handed) to commemorate finishing my first triathlon. I have a girl swimming, biking, running, the date I finished on top and Psalm 73:26 under that so I never forget that my strength comes from God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted a tattoo to symbolize my faith, and I even have a design in mind, but I've never actually committed to getting it. I think that i always knew I wanted a tattoo to symbolize my relationship with God, but I never really explored that thought deeper. Thank you so much for sharing! it makes me think more about whether I want to get my tattoo or not, and how symbolic they can be! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have those words on my back with three doves above it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. That verse is one of my favorites. I'm 33 (married with 4 kids) and have had 2 open heart surgeries and have hung onto that verse through some hard times. Most recently, 3 months ago, the doctors found 2 more problems with my heart and it looked like I was headed for surgery again. My husband and I went before our church for prayer and anointing for healing. Then 2 weeks ago when I went back to the doctors for more testing they could find no evidence of any problems!! God healed me! He is the strength of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, that is amazing. There is power in His name & your life is a confirmation of that. Keep fighting the good fight for there is hope to those who remain. <3

      Delete
  9. That is one of my favorite verses. I hold on to it throughout my walk with God.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stumbled upon this blog looking for a tattoo for myself. I'm going through one of the hardest times in my life and I wanted something to symbolize God's faithfulness and love in seeing me through it. This would be my very first tattoo and I wanted something that would be "perfect." I thought about Jeremiah 29:11-13 because that is my "life's verse", but just the scripture reference was not visual enough for me. I want a symbol.

    I love your design. Eternal love. It says, "I will never leave you or forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5) Would you mind if I used your design? Everything has to have a meaning for me. If I get a tattoo it has to be something I will love forever. I could love this forever, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe all tattoos hold value & meaning to the individual. I have no rights to the symbol! I love mine & what it means to me. :)

      Delete
  11. I've seen this tat on Pinterest many times and even have it on my tattoo board already! I love it and that it has such deep spiritual meaning to you. Thanks for sharing the story behind your tattoo! And I LOVE meeting other Christian women online, boldly sharing their stories! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI THERE....I just wanted to mention that the scriptures specifically speak AGAINST tatoos....it is written in the word....only slaves wore them......Jews can not even be buried in a Jewish plot or service if they have a tatoo...........it is lovely.......BUT ........God certainly did not tell you to do that to his temple

    ReplyDelete