Monday, July 4, 2011

Free≠dom

Independence Day has been one of my favoritest days of the year because 1) someone is always throwing a bomb-beque, and 2) La Cañada Country Club parking lot is always the spot to be for all the fireworks around LA.

Today, I found a new appreciation for America and its freedom of speech & religion.

Wait, not only that, but the freedom to wear whatever I feel like.. to go out & enjoy a day off with company or solo.. to be a girl out & about in the streets JUST BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE IT.. to enjoy a glass of wine anywhere, especially my own home.. to drive my car with the windows down, singing along to my blasting music.. to take my dogs out on a walk & saying hello to other dog owners who share the same affinity for dog-walking, to laugh & smile because I want to express an emotion called happiness..

Living in this country is probs the closest thing to experiencing a life without freedom; at least for me. I have been here for 34 days and am sitting here, telling you how sorry I feel for me, myself & I, for spending endless quality time together in my 10x10 bedroom.

Yet these people live through this all their lives. These women, especially.

Speech & religion. In this country, a person who believes in Him has to live a lie to everyone else around.. How can one express the joy of being found in the One when it is forbidden to do so? How about the women who are most 'free' inside the boundaries of their own home, yet cannot speak a word against her husband?

But then again, is it harder for a person who has lived all their life without freedom, never getting a taste of its goodness?

Here, I spend an entire day, in my room- my desk, my bed, my floor.. and I can do whatever the hecks I want because I am the boss of this room. Anything I say goes, and I say that freedom is free inside these walls. *crowd*cheer*

Perhaps it is getting to me; the lack of freedom outside these walls. Maybe I have to suffer through this feeling, so that I would literally feel the pain of these people. Maybe this is exercising my freedom in Him.

Red, White & Bluez, cheers.


3 comments:

  1. "Because I am the boss of this room"

    Hahaha :).

    And yes, I think many times we don't know what we have until it's taken away. Watch the Adjustment Bureau, great film. The moral of its story: We don't truly have free will until we're willing to fight for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a couple days late, but Happy Fourth of July!
    I completely forgot it was the fourth and the day glossed by for me--I hope it was okay for you. I really liked reading this post :) Freedom in Him is so amazing, and I am glad you are there to share it with the people, even in the most indirect way possible.
    Always keeping you in p.

    ReplyDelete