Friday, June 17, 2011

"Barriga Llena, Corazon Contenta": What I Eat

"Barriga llena, corazon contenta." - "A full stomach, a happy heart."
That saying was taught to me by Ricardo, our gatekeeper, in Nicaragua back in 2009. It always comes to my mind when I am homesick. When I first went to Spain, I would wake up in the middle of the night so hungry... and then I would get homesick. I realized after being here, that I correlate my homesickness with my hunger & cravings. Hahaha..... sad? But tis true. While I am here, I just eat to live, not live to eat like I do back at home... where everything that sounds good is readily available, in any moment.

Here... not so much. Actually, nothing besides the good ol' vegetables + tofu that I love with my Sriracha. I drank bad bottled water 3 days ago, and have been suffering from the repercussions, as I have become best friends with my pink toilet. For the past 2 days, I have not eaten real food, minus some rice & some cereal... which of course, did not stay long inside of me. Since I cannot eat, I will just write & post some photos to help me get through this...


My breakfast every day is a bowl of milk with Cheerios 
and/or a piece of homemade biscuit with spreads.

We have naan available at every meal... Unfortunately,
I am not a big fan of carbs, so I rarely get to it.


At first, I thought I had to get a little bit of everything
to be courteous, but I actually do not eat rice/potatoes..

We even had bulgogi my first week, but I am refraining from eating
meat while I am here.. (if you saw the butcher shop, you would understand)


What I eat here most regularly..
Tofu + fresh vegetables with no dressing

Tried Afghan curry for the first time.. tasted similar except hard rice.


As you can see, my meals vary here & there but what never changes is the tofu, cucumber, tomato, bell pepper & carrot. I have those available all the time. Oh! And my bottle of Sriracha, that is now already half-eaten...! Uh oh........

Anyway, here is what I crave every day:



Self-explanatory


Sigh... these cravings will probably come & go during my stay here.... so just bear with me. I hope my stomach will be strengthened so I can try more native cuisine.... and drink their water.... without being sick in bed for days. Will you follow me there?





3 comments:

  1. Follow you where?

    Hope you get better soon Estef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude those veggies look so good. i remember when ricardo said that. we were outside and the weather was awesome and we were probably getting eaten alive by mosquitos

    ReplyDelete