Thursday, June 2, 2011

How to: Eat a Mango, Afghan-style

I came just a week after mango season had started in Afg. If I remember anything from my last trip to this country in 2007, I remembered how amazing the mangos were with the juicy fruit meat.. mmmmm sweeter than the ones I eat in the States.

After every lunch & dinner, we eat a mango, and will be doing so for the next couple months until cantaloupe season starts. I have zero complaints because I love fruits, especially mangos. Yumz.

Here is a tutorial on how to eat one, if you ever are in Afg and want to look like a native:

This what a mango looks like in Afg, usually imported from Pakistan. 

You cut a circumference around the center.
(Notice the spillage of the mango blood, mm)

You then twist the mango and separate the two halves.
You can give one half to another friend.

You use a spoon to scrape out all the mango meat, cleeean.

I like sharing, usually. But it was too good.......

Interesting, right? Sometimes, the natives just massage the mango for a long period of time, poke a hole & drink the mango like a juice. I must try that in the next couple months...

2 comments: